Thursday, October 16, 2008

Welcome to the Twilight Zone!

All the household chores are done. I've been to the doctor, went shopping, had lunch and now the kids are letting their imaginations loose on legos whilst baby naps happily. I managed to do everything but WATCH THE DEBATE RERUN!!! I was so surprised when my cell-phone calendar started ringing, reminding me of my doctor's appointment. I hope I don't forget about the next rerun at 6pm.


Today is such a beautiful autumn day, and I think it's lifting everyone's spirits. Perhaps it was just coincidence, but every person I encountered for more than a few seconds jovially chatted me up - very odd in a country that is so often characterised by its inwardly-oriented population. And just when you think I've hit the peak of obscurity - wait for it - nobody asked me where I'm from! **cue theme music from The Twilight Zone**

This experience of being treated as a fellow German as opposed to an immigrant has yet to happen to me in the former East. The former West is much more in tune with a culturally diversifying Germany. I always knew this, but it really struck home for me today.


(photo from stern.de)

1 comment:

  1. Where in Germany? I had been there years ago for a student exchange in Wiesbaden. Lovely place.

    ReplyDelete