Saturday, October 11, 2008

Newly Found UK Generosity / Neueliche UK Großzügigkeit

My hubby brought home a UK landing card today with a silly smile on his face. "The Border Agency needs a proper German translator", he said, pointing to the bottom of the card. It read in English:

If you break UK laws you could face imprisonment and removal.
Underneath, the German translation read:
Wenn Sie UK Gesetze brechen sie könnten zu Haftstrafen verurteilt und Umzugsbeihilfen.
Why is this so funny? Firstly, for an official document, the grammar is unacceptably atrocious, in that it's just plain WRONG. Secondly, a German would understand their translation as:
If you break UK laws you could face imprisonment and receive financial assistance to your moving house.
Fantastic! If I need to move and want to save money in doing so, I just need to enter the UK and break a law. They say so on their landing card. =D



Mein Schatz hat heute, mit einem albernen Lächeln, ein britisches Einwanderungsbhördenformular mit nachhause gebracht. Die UK Border Agency braucht dringend einen vernünftigen Übersetzer, sagte er mit dem Finger auf den unteren Teil der Karte weisend. Auf englisch war dort unmissverständlich geschrieben:
If you break UK laws you could face imprisonment and removal.
Eigentlich bedeutet das: Wenn Sie UK-Gesetze brechen, können Sie zu einer Haftstrafe verurteilt und kostenpflichtig abgeschoben werden. Die deutsch Übersetzung der Border Agency hatte jedoch eine leicht andere Färbung. Sie las sich wie folgt:
Wenn Sie UK Gesetze brechen sie könnten zu Haftstrafen verurteilt und Umzugsbeihilfen.
Zu dieser exakten Abschrift der Karte, sage ich zwei Dinge. Erstens, GRAUENVOLLE Grammatik. Zweitens, fantastisch! Wenn ich UK Gesetze breche, bekomme ich Umzugsbeihilfen! Wo kann ich mich melden? Sie bieten es schließlich auf ihrer Einwanderungskarte an. =D

3 comments:

  1. You're doing a fantastic job with your site customization. It looks great! When I redesigned my site, I spent **hours** changing it. Now that I'm quite accomplished at html-- check out www.oupcanada.com/esl.html for my handiwork ;)--I might have to make some more changes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I am so behind the times... I had no idea what I was getting into when I started to customise the blog. Actually, yours helped me - I studied some of the coding of your blog to help me in my understanding of xml - so thank you for that as well =)
    Did you design the OUP site? It looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yep... This is chuckle inducing!
    During the 2006 World Cup - the British Gov. handed out information flyers to their citizens travelling to Germany for the games. They included a page of handy translations ("Hello", "May I have a beer please" that type of thing) From memory there were no obvious mistakes - but the last entry was :"May I please pitch my tent in your backyard?"
    (I don't think they realised that the majority of Germans do not have a back yard!)

    Thanks for popping by and leaving a comment!

    pjmel

    ReplyDelete