Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Is Michele Bachmann the new Joseph McCarthy?

I have never heard of Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) before today, and already I am deeply disturbed by her. In an interview on MSNBC's Hardball, she essentially equated the terms liberal, leftist and anti-American. Therefore, in her eyes, if you have a left-leaning opinion, you are anti-American. Period. She also called for a probe of Congress for "anti-American views".

She wants to bring back the McCarthy witch-hunts!
I swear to God, this woman is McCarthy reincarnate, and I hope that Americans are as equally disturbed by this as I am. Once it starts, where does it stop? In America's super-Orwellian surveillance state there is already easy access to all phone calls, emails, chats, etc. And perhaps more importantly: why is a slightly left-leaning idealism inherently anti-American? Isn't an individual's critical nature a sign that they care? The thought of suppressing critical voices has a bitter aftertaste reminiscent of Stalinism - and who wants to go there?

There are others who have probed their government and populace for anti-nationalistic views and opposing ideologies: the Communists. I highly recommend those in favour of Bachmann's probe to watch The Majestic and, even better, The Lives of Others, and decide if they want their lives scrutinised in the same way.


I suppose the silver lining in all this is that it seems the Republicans are desperate enough to continue this "Obama is anti-American" campaign route. It is absolutely mind-boggling how someone with such outlandish thoughts, such as Bachmann, can even become a voter's choice. Where is the America that held dear the universal ideal of freedom?

2 comments:

  1. All I can say is that people are amazing. Not, you understand, in a good way.

    My friends and I laugh about our calls being listened to and then switch the discussion to female bodily functions, because we figure that will ensure the wire tappers hang up.

    It isn't funny, but there isn't much else we can do.

    Obama '08

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will never understand this. I just equate it to yet another lie the far right leaders use to control their followers. What I really don't understand is how people don't see through Sarah Palin's hypocrisy in calling Obama supporters anti-American when her husband wanted Alaska to not be a part of the U.S. at all! How do you get any more anti-American than that? I love this country in spite of it's flaws. Leftists work to make the country they love better. If they didn't love this country they would be trying to succeed from it just like the first Dude of Alaska.
    The universal ideal of freedom seems to be lost on many Republicans. They want their desires to be free, such as guns and hate crimes but anyone who thinks differently than them are not allowed to be free.
    And to think...I used to be one of those people. I am so thankful that I have been liberated!

    ReplyDelete