Saturday, October 11, 2008

The Pursuit of Attention / Das Streben nach Aufmerksamkeit

Ugh. Men. Sometimes they drive me nuts… Women out there know what I’m talking about. Hubby and I just caught the final twenty minutes of Germany’s World Cup qualifier against Russia. I had just finished breastfeeding and needed hubby to burp baby so that I could go to the washroom. Here is how the conversation went:

Me: Honey?
Hubby: Hm?
Can you take the baby please? I need to go pee.
(doesn’t move) Hm.
So? Can you take him please?
(still fixated on the game) Hm.
Honey?
Hm?
Helloooo…..
Hm.
(loudly) Helllloooooo!
Hm.
(in a seductive whisper) I want you. Now.
(all attentively and suddenly facing me) What? Okay!
Argh! Are you kidding me?

He wasn’t, and to make matters more irritating, he isn’t a huge sports fan or a very patriotic German. When it comes to soccer, however, he’s proud of his black, red, and gold. Ugh.




Mann! Männer. Manchmal machen sie mich verrückt... Frauen wissen mit Sicherheit wovon ich spreche. Mein Schatz und ich haben uns gerade die letzten 20 Minuten des Deutschlandspiels gegen Russland angesehen. Ich hatte gerade fertig gestillt und wollte, daß er unser Baby mir kurz abnimmt, so daß ich zur Toilette gehen konnte. Hier ist wie das Gespräch ablief:

Ich: Schatz?
Er: Hm?
Kannst du mir bitte kurz das Baby abnehmen? Ich muss zur Toilette.
(ohne Bewegung) Hm.
Also? Kannst du ihn bitte nehmen?
(immer noch fixiert auf das Spiel) Hm.
Schatz?
Hm?
Halloooo?
Hm.
(lauter) Halloooooooo!
Hm.
(geflüstert in verführerischem Ton) Ich will Dich. Jetzt.
(vollständig geistesgegenwärtig und aufgeweckt) Was? Okay!
Mann! Das darf nicht wahr sein!

Was mich dabei am Meisten irritiert hat, ist daß er eigentlich weder ein großer Sportfreund ist noch besonders stark ausgeprägten Deutschlandpatriotismus hat. Wenn es jedoch um Fußball geht, dann ist er sehr stolz auf sein Schwarz, Rot und Gold. Mann!

1 comment:

  1. LOL! I just plop the baby onto his lap and mumble "I have to pee." Then I'm off to the bathroom and a pit stop to read email!

    I'm an Asian-looking North American in Germany too. I know all about the explaining. ;-)

    ReplyDelete