Wednesday, October 22, 2008

"No, I am not an American!"...

...is something I am sure every Canadian in Germany has had to explain. I realise that with Canada being in North America, Canadians are, in a sense, American. Following that thought, however, would lead to the assumption that one can call everyone in North, Central and South America an American, which we all know nobody does. I am referring to the seemingly widespread interchangeability of Canadian with American.

I can see where this might stem from. The US has played a big role in recent German history. From the installment of the Marshall Plan up until the departure of the Clinton administration, the US was seen as a shining beacon and as THE ideal to be emulated. With all that PR, I am not surprised that Canada was viewed as not much more than 'the neighbour to the north'. I already foresee disagreements with my children's future world history teachers over things like the War of 1812 (if I am not mistaken, it is also known to non-Canadians as the American-Indian War).


Bottom line? Stating that a Canadian is practically an American is something you do not want to do, just as you would not call the Scottish practically English, or the Austrians practically German. For a crash course on what Canadians are proud of, please watch this brilliant commercial:




(Photo from freefoto.com)

3 comments:

  1. Ha! Not just in Germany! Just about anywhere in Europe. Someone once told me I was wrong to insist that I wasn't American. Now I just laugh it off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my - where did you hear that it was wrong to insist you weren't American?

    ReplyDelete
  3. my cousins who are canadian experienced this too. My aunt says to avoid the lengthy discussion, she shows the person her passport.

    ReplyDelete