Sunday, November 16, 2008

Weekend Summary

I survived my first single-mom-marathon after the arrival of baby #4! Needless to say, I am very tired; hence I am tapping my inner list-freak to summarise my weekend.

What put a smile on my face this weekend:

  • Pleasantly surprised concierges - I always make a point of saying thank you. I suppose that does not occur often to a hotel concierege.
  • A shortened single-mom-marathon - Hubby surprised me by catching an earlier flight home!
  • As is tradition, he brought me home some yummy cheese and foie gras from Pa-ree.
  • Baby said "mama" - I know he still does not associate the word with me, but it still makes my heart melt.
  • Hubby's mom and step-dad - Always good for a nice kaffeetrinken.
  • We went out visiting museums and random exhibits in the city. Upon seeing a case filled with crowns and tiaras, our younger daughter proclaimed to anyone who would listen that they belonged to mommy and papa because they are a king and queen.
  • At no point did the children become uninterested or impatient in the museums and exhibits.
  • Hearing that Bush claimed his favourite childhood book to be Eric Carle's "The Very Hungry Caterpillar". (The book was first published when Bush was in his twenties.)
What did NOT put a smile on my face this weekend:

  • The Eurozone officially entered recession.
  • My stores of Tim Hortons coffee are now completely depleted.
  • Hubby's horrible hotel experience - First the hotel left him waiting outside the airport for the shuttle which was going to arrive "in ten minutes". It took over an hour for the shuttle to arrive. Secondly, he was first placed in a smoking room - despite his request for a non-smoking room. This mistake was very reluctantly rectified. Thirdly, there was patch of mould, about 75cm in diameter, right next to his bed. (All this at a four star hotel!)
  • Dishonest people who cannot read - Upon hearing that he might be able to catch a delayed flight back home a day early, he spent between five and ten minutes away from his hotel room, at the front desk, to negotiate a free cancellation of his second night in person. He made sure he hung the do not disturb sign on the doorknob before leaving. When he returned, his bed was made up, and a 50 Euro note that he left on his bedside table was missing. The housekeeper was no where to be seen. Unfortunately, hubby could only place a formal complaint by risking losing the courtesy late check-in window that the airline offered him as an exception, so he left it as such.
  • I forgot to recharge my batteries and had to leave my camera at home.
  • The weather - I do not mind cold weather, but I do despise strong gusts of wind with spitting rain.
  • An arrogant waitress - I do not care if you are having a bad day; you NEVER let it show to a customer!
  • Hubby's aunt - She is completely oblivious and/or condescending to everything that does not interest her or conflicts with her priorities.
  • CNNI - Enough with Tomb 33 already! It was interesting the first two times it aired, but that was weeks ago and it now seems to be aired with increasing frequency. Wait another six months and I will happily watch it again.
  • Our planned road trip to the Harz Mountains - We had to postpone it for mid-December.
(Photo from AP)

3 comments:

  1. Would you like me to send you some Timmies? I'm a French roast in a Bodum kind of girl, but I craved Tim's when I was in Japan, and I can imagine how you must miss it! (I personally would miss the sour cream glazed Timbits the most...so bad, but so good).

    ReplyDelete
  2. All we use is a Bodum press as well - really confused my mother when she came to visit. If it is not too much trouble, we would love some Timmies!
    I also have a quick question for you - I saw some beautiful original intaglio-method etchings of Berlin. Is that something that you could imagine hanging in your home? We found one yesterday that we would love to send you for xmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will make a pit stop at Timmies on the weekend and send a care package on its way. I love transatlantic mail. I LOVE etchings. I bought Jonathan a beautiful set when I was working in Quebec City...thank you for being so thoughtful!

    ReplyDelete