Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Will the real John McCain please stand up?

I think he finally did last night, when he gave his concession speech. It is a shame we lost him when he accepted the Republican nomination. I highly doubt he expected to get pulled into a campaign as filthy as his turned out to be.

I remember breathing out a sigh of relief, along with hubby, when it became apparent that McCain would be the GOP’s presidential nominee. He had, in my opinion, the most substantial and well-rounded ticket of the pack. Barring the entry of Sarah Palin into the scene, I would not have minded a McCain administration - even though I was an Obama hopeful.


His true failure was not having been the “maverick” he claimed to be. Had he fought against the negativity that his advisors essentially forced him to embrace – positively stand apart from his colleagues as a maverick does – he would have truly earned the title.


It was a nice surprise to see him bow down with that long absent touch of class. I hope that he will practice what he preached in regards to unity with the new administration. I hope he will put
Country First.

(photo from nytimes.com)

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly how you feel. His concession (sp?) speech was so classy, comfortable. Like you were sitting on the sofa having an intellectual discussion with him. He wasn't stiff or making grimacing faces.

    Maybe we would have been ok with THAT guy as President, but not the one who has been campaigning for the last 8 months and who knows which one would have moved into the White House. And I could not accept Sarah Palin as being a heartbeat away. What a laughingstock SHE would have made of us!

    ReplyDelete