Saturday, January 30, 2010

While You Were Sleeping

Both in Canada and in Germany, whilst in labour, I was asked if I would allow medical students to perform extra pelvic exams. I said yes. My answer would not have been any different if I was to be unconscious during said examination, along with 62% of Canadian women.

Unfortunately, all this is of no conequence in Canada. Apparently, it is routine for medical students to perform gynecological exams on women under general anaesthetics, without first receiving their explicit permission to do so.

I hate to say this, but does this not amount to rape? I understand that these students are our future dotors and that practial training is just as essential as theory. However, is it really necessary to perform these exams without the consent of the patient, especially when the majority of women do not have a problem with it?

Grrrrr.....

No comments:

Post a Comment