Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Suspicious Junk Mail

I opened my Canadian bank account not too long ago, and I am already receiving junk snail-mail.

I received a letter from RBC Royal Bank offering me 6,000 bonus RBC Rewards points if I apply for the RBC Rewards Gold Visa before March 31st. It was addressed to me using my maiden name. The only document/card anywhere that still uses my maiden name is my SIN card (Social Insurance Number), which I provided when I opened my bank account (with my married name, at bank other than Royal Bank). Everything else, my passport, health card, etc. lists my married name. Even my birth certificate was amended.

Can anyone explain to me how this happened? Because this is obviously linked to the sudden activity with my SIN, I feel like some privacy rule has been violated.

3 comments:

  1. Spam is undeniably every third thread in the fabric of the internet.I often wonder why the spammers just don't openly offer to trade links and share advertising with the large companies they actually work for.:)
    nice blog by the way:)
    David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for droppy by, David! I don't mind junkmail in my mailbox, as I they usually just end up shredded and placed in the paper recycling bin.
    Internet spam is especially annoying. It feels like it takes much longer to be rid of it from my email inbox!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really can't do anything about it. They're just junk mail no matter what you do it'll keep coming back whether with the same email address or a different. All you can do is block the email if it's the same every time.

    Nox Edge

    ReplyDelete