Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Why I Love Berlin – Part 2

Today, for the first time since last October, we have had beautiful t-shirt weather here in Berlin. Luckily, hubby had a relatively short work day (he was back home by 2:30 pm) and we went out and took advantage of the opportunity to enjoy another aspect that I love so much about Berlin – namely, how green it is.

Berlin is the largest and most densely populated metropolis in Germany, although you would not think it at first glance. Unlike the concrete jungles familiar to North Americans, Berlin is an urban woodland blessed with an abundance of parks and forests, as well as having most residential and major streets lined with trees. I do not need to venture far from my front door to enjoy mother nature – and I live right in the city centre!


I will never understand the North American obsession with replacing trees in the city with concrete. It is quite sad, actually.

Inside the Sony Centre at Potsdamer Platz - a square built upon a former dead-man's-land. A perfect example of the German habit of incorporating nature as much as possible in new urban developments.

Unter den Linden - "under the linden trees" in English - is a grand boulevard in the city's core.

Inside Kranzler Eck, another example of the incorporation of nature in modern urban development. In the centre-left of the photo is a birdcage filled with exotic, colourful species.

4 comments:

  1. The last time I was in Berlin was 1995, and for as beautiful as it was then, it sounds like it's even better (and greener) now. Great city!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The changes of Berlin from the fall of the wall to the turn of the millennium is very well documented in multiple books, articles, and exhibits around the city. Since my move here in 2003, I have noticed how the city has made great inroads with its greenery and ecological sustainability.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mariecel,
    I'm near Stuttgart but have visited Berlin about 3 times now and just love it. So much to see and explore. When you have a chance, come over and visit us at www.baroquebabies.com We're two american moms writing about life and travels in europe and germany with our kids! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mariecel,

    I know you don't post on here anymore but I thought you might get an e-mail if I left you a comment. I am going to Munich in January and I was wondering if you could tell me about the weather there. I have the option of going in May to so I might change my mind if I think it will not be enjoyable with the cold.
    So, if you do get this please e-mail me at webmaster@modernmommyblog.com

    Thanks!

    Jill

    ReplyDelete