Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Why I Love Berlin - Part 1

The past few days have had their toll on me. Gastroenteritis paid our home a visit just as hubby’s two week break ended. Our laundry loads doubled and we lived off of electrolyte solutions and crackers as the kids and I quarantined ourselves from the outside world and waited for our guest to leave.

Today, with the smell of fresh laundry and orange-poppyseed cake wafting through our home and the satisfaction that there were no remaining traces of the stomach bug having visited us, I took the kids to Tiergarten for an afternoon strol
l. (Tiergarten is to Berlin what Central Park is to New York City.) It was our first time outside for half a week and the kids were thrilled. So was I.

I mentioned earlier that my love of Berlin warranted a blog post of its own. I was wrong.

There is so much that I adore that a single blog post would be misrepresentative. Funnily enough, however, I can categorise most of what I love about Berlin in one word: choice. This post is centered on the choices I had today, literally, just outside my doorstep – public transport.

Berlin has an intricately dense web of buses, streetcars, U-Bahn lines (subways) and S-Bahn lines (light rail). I can get almost anywhere in the city within an hour, the few exceptions being the most desolate and obscure corners of Berlin that I would visit once a year, if at all. Just outside my doorstep, I have the choice between an U-Bahn line and two bus lines (four if you count the overnight routes). Within a two-minute walk from my doorstep I have an additional U-Bahn line and four more bus lines at my disposal. Within a fifteen-minute walk from my doorstep I have access to yet another subway line, at least five more bus lines, three S-Bahn lines and a number of Regional Express lines which take me outside of the city for a tiny surcharge.

Many people are hesitant to depend on public transport for their daily commute. I can confidently say, from six years experience, that the BVG (Berliner Verkehrs-AG, responsible for buses, streetcars, and the U-Bahn) and DB (Deutsche Bahn, responsible for the S-Bahn) are extremely reliable. An advantage to having two different companies running the different methods of transport is that the city rarely has a complete shutdown. When busses, streetcars and the U-Bahn ceased to operate due to striking workers last spring, the S-Bahn, run by DB, continued to operate and even increased their service to pick up the slack.

I have no need for a car. The opportunity cost is much too high to justify my owning one. Between the monthly car loan payment, gas, and insurance, my wallet would be around 550 EUR lighter every month – more than FIVE TIMES what hubby and I spend monthly on public transportation.


As odd as it may sound, I find travelling in the city with my kids on public transport easier than in the car. I never have to struggle getting impatient kids/babies buckled in or repeatedly fold and unfold my stroller. Hubby and I can freely interact with our children without having to concentrate on the traffic. Our oldest son is completely infatuated with anything train-like, so rides on the U-Bahn, S-Bahn, and streetcar are always a welcome novelty to him.

I have said it before and I will say it again – if you live in this city, own a car, and use said car daily, you are either lazy or crazy, or both. Berlin is a city in which you can live car-free. Sadly, I cannot say the same about the city of Mississauga, where I grew up.

5 comments:

  1. I would love to live somewhere and not have to drive a car daily. Maybe Boston, New York, OR Walt Disney World! :-)

    And I am sorry about your visitor. I lived off of toast, bananas, applesauce and diluted Gatorade for almost a week about 2 weeks ago. Miserable! And it was just me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree with you on the wisdom and wonderfulness of not having a car. We drive maybe once a month, always a short-term rental, and only if we're doing long distances that are impracticable by transit, or if we are going to be carrying large items(normally Ikea.) Toronto's transit system is nowhere near as good as Berlin's, but I get to school, which is much to the north and west of me, in under an hour. Between the two of us, Jonathan and I spend about $200/month on transit. I don't have to worry about parking, insurance, tickets, traffic, accidents, or running out of gas. I love it. And I hate that in Mississauga, you can't exist without a car without major sacrifices. I will never live in a suburb again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish we had public transportation where I am. The city of Phoenix has made some improvements in that area but not anywhere close to somewhere like Berlin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Left: I would live in Walt Disney World or Land any day! Ever time we go I tell DH "I want to live here."

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Left: Walt Disney World! I have never been there, and now that I live in Europe it is even less likely. Sure, there is Disney World Paris, but I am not so much in the mood to get snubbed by the French - even dressed up as Mickey.

    @Melissa: The last time I visited my parents I tried to get by on public transit alone. I was horrid! I had forgotten how "punctually-challenged" MT is. I love me some German efficiency! =P Hubby and I also rent for furniture trips (usually Ikea of ebay), or for road trips - but even then we sometimes opt for the nice train ride =)

    @Jill: It's nice to see you here again!

    ReplyDelete