Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Obama turned me into an emotional chameleon

When Wolf Blitzer announced over the beautiful performance of Air and Simple Gifts that it was already past noon and Barack Obama officially became the 44th President of the United States, I sighed. It was a sigh of relief, hope, and happiness. Being the sap that I am, I also shed a couple of tears.

When President Obama stumbled on the oath, I laughed. I have no doubt that there are those ridiculing him on it, but I took it as an unintended gentle reminder that he is human, just like the rest of us. I found it quite endearing.


As President Obama gave his inaugural address, I was entranced. It was very well written and equally well delivered. I only spoke once during the speech. After Obama said "...we will extend a hand if you are willing to unclench your fist", I breathed the word wow. I think that is my favourite phrase from the speech. It is so picturesque.

At the end, I gave into the tide of emotion and cried.
In the time frame of about half an hour, my children curiously watched their mother sigh, gently cry, laugh, watch the television zombie-like, returned to life to breathe a single word, turn back into a zombie and, finally, cry once again. They must think I am crazy!

How about you? How did you feel during the swearing-in and the address? Did it turn you into an emotional chameleon?

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I was an emotional chameleon. I was listening on CNNRadio from work. I tried to get the video, but so was everyone else. I am just so proud! So happy! So thankful to be proud of my President again. I hope we can all work together and make our country something we can be proud of again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was also one of my favorite lines. There was something he said right before that about not destroying or bombing things that I also liked. I too sat and watched everything on t.v. all day. My almost two year old watched about the first hour with me and every time they would blow the trumpets she would say "Oh my goodness" "Guck (look) Mommy!" Of course I had to get it on video.

    ReplyDelete