Saturday, August 11, 2012

Catching television criminals - then and now

Hubby and I watched an episode of Murder, She Wrote earlier today. I have always loved that show. Who could resist the charm and wit of J. B. Fletcher? The criminals certainly could not, as is evidenced at the 45-minute mark of every episode, when they break down and confess their crime and motive after being figuratively backed into a corner by a calm, observant, and smiling old widow.

The show is highly predictable. Someone is murdered and someone else is painted as the likely suspect. Jessica doubts this person's guilt and, through paying attention to minute details, sets out to prove that the character who received very little screen time is actually the murderer. In the eleventh hour, the power that is Jessica's charm and logic coerces a confession out of the murderer, usually in front of the sheriff. You could almost play detective with Jessica, and try to find that one detail, the key to solving the crime.

The soundtrack is light and airy. There is little violence and, when there is, it is milder than on a children's show such as The Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers.

I grew up watching this show with my mom and happily recreate those memories with my children today. The character of Jessica Fletcher has a way of putting rude and inconsiderate people in their place with nothing more than a calm voice and a smile. I hope to age with such grace, gravitas, and dignity. I hope my children do, too.

Later on, hubby and I watched an episode of Criminal Minds. What a difference 20 years can do to television! The formula is still there, albeit a little changed. Discover murdered person. Use clues not immediately obvious to the general populace to identify killer. Catch criminal (usually).

But, oh, the violence! The gore! Severed limbs, gouged eyeballs, and splattered blood! Sometimes we are lucky enough to witness the crime in action. I cannot watch this show whilst my children are nearby. The photography and soundtrack can make way to the kind of nail-biting suspense typical in a horror movie. I know of adults who have a difficult time sleeping after watching the show.

As the viewer, you don't really have an opportunity to solve the crime - everything is pretty much laid out for you. Though each character has his/her positive attributes, I do not find myself aspiring to become like any of them. The entertainment value of this show is not so much in the storytelling as in the shock value of its contents.

So, which is better? Then or now? Light and whimsical or heavy and dark? Family fare or guilty pleasure? I enjoy both shows immensely; it merely depends on what time of day it is. Murder, She Wrote is my cup of grape juice shared with my family at the dinner table, whereas Criminal Minds is my glass of wine after my children are fast asleep.

How about you? Which do you prefer?





2 comments:

  1. I suppose, having to choose one of those styles, I'd go with the heavy and dark, but only just barely. It almost doesn't matter.

    Really, my preference has shifted away from shows where the entire plot arc is resolved in just one episode, thanks to the likes of The Sopranos, Dexter, Battlestar Galactica, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc. We watch television so rarely now (compared to when we lived in the U.S.) that I'm willing to invest more in it when we do. And by that I mean financially as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping by, Cliff! I noticed that living away from Canada made me watch less television, also. Hmmmm... a topic for another post, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete